Multi-use buildings and complexes
The new fire station is located in the western Upper Pusteria Valley at 1130 sea level. The elongated two storey building adapts to the layout of the adjacent main road and creates ample free areas: an upper gathering area, facing the hall, and a lower parking/practice area connected to the vehicle hangar. The inside-lying external staircase provides to the building of a connection with the main road and the parking area. On side which faces the village are located the vehicle hall with functional and utility rooms. The hall / training room and its tea kitchen are located on the main street. The separation of the layers facilitates spatial distinction during celebrations or external use of the hall. The red colour emphasises the originality of the new building. All surfaces of the building have been realised with pigmented concrete, so as
to remark the monolithic character of the building. The thickness of the wall remains recognizable and emphasizes the massive appearance of the construction. The doors and windows have been realised with powder-coated metal, whereas for the sanitary facilities stainless steel equipment has been chosen. Brown tinted windows have been also used, so as to provide further protection against intensive sunshine. In order to contrast the massive concrete construction, pine timber and local Loden have been chosen to finish the "Hall" (“Saal”), which is also a meeting place for the citizens of Vierschach. A special feature of this project is the high quality level of the finishing of the shell construction, which minimised finishing works necessary to complete the construction. Since the shell construction is almost coincident with the fitou
t, the achieved architecture evokes the origins of buildings made with stone. Irregularities and grain confer charm to the material. The outer surfaces were rendered water-repellent and slightly regrinded. Lightweight concrete was used material for the realisation of the outer shell construction. By adding lighter artificial lightweight aggregates (expanded clay) in compliance with DIN EN 13055 and General Building Inspectorate License, concrete achieved high thermal insulation properties, in such a way that further insulation work was not necessary. Besides the structural and insulation technical function, red-coloured very dense lightweight concrete carries out the function of fair-faced concrete of the frost-proof facade. The requirements for the concrete were: strength class LC16 / 18, dry bulk density ρ ≤ 1250 kg / m³, design thermal conductivity R ≤ 0.4 W / mK. The fire-resistant building materials are classified in the most demanding fire class A1 according to DIN 4102. With regard to the required energy efficiency of buildings, a 60 cm thick reinforced lightweight concrete had to be adopted for the building envelope. The spans of the girders are up to 27.0 m long. The diverse and simultaneous high demands on the lightweight concrete made required suitability tests and a complete quality control. For hardened concrete elements the bulk density, strength and thermal conductivity were tested.
Gross Floor Area (mq)740
Design teamPedevilla Architects
Main ContractorBettiol S.r.l.
ConsultantsBettiol S.r.l., Ingenieurteam Bergmeister
SuppliersEisack Beton, Fa. Elko, Fa. SRL, Fa. Vettoretti
Photo CreditsGustav Willeit
Curriculum studio / partecipantePedevilla Architects was founded by the brothers Alexander and Armin Pedevilla in 2005 in the city of Bruneck. Their architectural language always implements the imminent alpine scenery of South Tyrol, which is characterised by harsh climatic conditions, steep mountainsides and the impressive panorama of the Alps. With their works, the office established a conception and understanding where modern regional architecture achieves a whole new significance. It settles in the context of traditional art of construction and contemporary reinterpretation, of genuine craftsmanship and deliberate revival, but most of all the context of materiality and their appropriate eligibility. Since its existence, the office made an imprint in the national and international alpine-architecture scene and is meanwhile counted as one of the renowned offices in Italy. Works were awarded and published internationally, as well as being featured in numerous architecture exhibitions.
Give a wish to this project