Museums, libraries, cultural centres
The project raises the challenge of how to celebrate one of the oldest structures remaining from the mining history of Colorado, while simultaneously creating a new center for the arts within the existing landmarked stone walls. For nearly 50 years, the stone walls of the 1906 Telluride Transfer Warehouse have existed as a preserved ruin in the heart of the town: a structure designated by the National Historic Trust as a “contributing structure” within the National Historic Landmark District of Telluride. This project brings new life to this important structure, seeking to create a creative revitalization of the past through a new future. This multi-use center will anchor the Telluride Arts District in the heart of the town nestled in the San Juan Mountains. Selectively engaging the historic stone shell of the 1906 Transfer Warehouse,
the design proposes a new, multi-layered, cross-laminated timber volume set within the existing walls, maximizing the interplay of the old and the new. Primary entry, circulation and social spaces exist between these stone and wood walls. Key elements of the project include the Great Hall at the entrance with a retractable skylight, a lower-level screening and music venue, two levels of flexible exhibition spaces and an expansive rooftop café and bar with views toward the dramatic mountain setting. The project is designed with art as a focus for enriching culture, learning and social engagement at the center of the historic district of Telluride. The Transfer Warehouse will be a light-filled space where people who love Telluride will gather for intimate experiences in world-class architecture. The Warehouse is quintessential Telluride,
and a magnet for artists from across the globe. The site is in the center of the commercial district of Telluride. The historic Telluride Transfer Warehouse occupies 6,115 square feet on the entire north side of one of the largest undeveloped blocks in the town. It is bound on three sides by existing sidewalks and streets and a new commercial residential development to the south. The site is located on the intersection of Fir and Pacific Streets. The basement floor will house the mechanical area and a flexible screening room and supporting WC’s. The main entrance level will be the great hall with a retractable skylight, entrance lobby, reception, café, small store, galleries, office space and storage. The mezzanine will be the primary gallery space with bathrooms. The upper floor is primarily an outdoor roof deck set and an enclosed café and hospitality space. The floors are connected by an elevator and two egress stairs. The total proposed square footage is 18,750 within the stone walls including the excavated cellar.
Gross Floor Area (mq)1742
Design teamLTL Architects design team: Paul Lewis, Marc Tsurumaki, David J. Lewis, Jillian Blakey, Corliss Ng, Sonia Flamberg, Eli Back, Rennie Jones, Michael Schissel, Jenny Hong, Elissa Palmer, Anna Knoell, Antonia Wai, Clark Manning
ConsultantsStructural Engineer: Silman; Mechanical Engineer: ME Engineers; Lighting Designer: Derek Porter Studio; Preservation: Studio Otero-Pailos; Cost Estimator: Stuart-Lynn Company
Curriculum studio / partecipanteLTL Architects is a design intensive architecture firm founded in 1997 by Paul Lewis, Marc Tsurumaki and David J. Lewis, located in New York City. The firm engages a diverse range of work, from large scale academic and cultural buildings to interiors and speculative research projects, and realizes inventive solutions that turn the very constraints of each project into the design trajectory, exploring opportunistic overlaps between space, program, form, budget and materials.
The voting session is closed.