Corning Museum of Glass Extension - A Celebration of Contemporary Glass | The Plan
  1. Home
  2. Magazine 2015
  3. The Plan 084 [09-2015]
  4. Corning Museum of Glass Extension - A Celebration of Contemporary Glass

Corning Museum of Glass Extension - A Celebration of Contemporary Glass

Thomas Phifer and Partners

America settentrionale | Corning

In 1951 Corning Glass celebrated the 100th anniversary of its founding by opening the Museum of Glass on its corporate campus in upstate New York. Thomas Phifer and Partners’ Contemporary Art + Design Wing is the third distinctive addition to the original Harrison & Abramowitz building. A shimmering white box, looking out to a new green, it is a quiet yet powerful presence that unifies the disparate complex. It’s a triumph of simplicity that contains many surprises. Within, curvilinear concrete walls support deep roof beams and define five toplit galleries. Visitors enter a “porch” that leads on to the Amphitheater Hot Shop, which Phifer created within the old Steuben glass factory as an auditorium for glassblowing demonstrations. 

Phifer was a long-time partner of Richard Meier, where he honed his skills in creating art museums...

Print
15.00 €
Digital
4.49 €

© Maggioli SpA • THE PLAN • Via del Pratello 8 • 40122 Bologna, Italy • T +39 051 227634 • P. IVA 02066400405 • ISSN 2499-6602 • E-ISSN 2385-2054