City Hall Hans-Sachs-Haus | The Plan
  1. Home
  2. Magazine 2014
  3. The Plan 072 [03-2014]
  4. City Hall Hans-Sachs-Haus

City Hall Hans-Sachs-Haus

GMP - Von Gerkan, Marg und Partner

Europa | Gelsenkirchen

From its beginnings in 1920 through to its recent conversion and re-opening, the Hans-Sachs-Haus has always been a key civic feature of the German Ruhr-valley city of Gelsenkirchen.
The rounded edges of its brick façade and the different sized lights indicating the different activities within were explicit references by the original architect, Alfred Fischer, to the social and democratic ideals of the Bauhaus school during the Weimar Republic (1919 - 1933).
The Hans-Sachs-Haus was conceived as a civic centre for musical, theatrical and sporting events as well as for conferences and exhibitions. It boasted one of the country’s largest concert organs, contained a hotel and library and also made room for a series of town hall offices. Badly damaged during the Second World War, the building was gradually abandoned during the 1960s and ‘70s. A subsequent...

Print
Paper Version Sold Out
Digital
4.49 €

© Maggioli SpA • THE PLAN • Via del Pratello 8 • 40122 Bologna, Italy • T +39 051 227634 • P. IVA 02066400405 • ISSN 2499-6602 • E-ISSN 2385-2054