Erl is a tiny village in Austria’s North Tyrol. Although an idyll of mountain, forests and pastures, it has been the repeated theatre of war and suffering down the centuries. During the last World War, the people of Erl resolved that if they survived, their village would be the venue for performances of the Passionsspiele, the plays of the Passion of Christ.
Since then Erl has hosted the Erl Tiroler Festspiele, a classical and sacred music festival held each year since 1959 in the Passionsspielhaus designed by Robert Schuller.
Almost fifty years later, the town has a new concert hall, the Festspielhaus, this time for a winter concert programme, that now sits alongside its summer partner.
Set against the mountains and forests of the Tyrol close to the pure white curve of the Passionsspielhaus, the new building designed by Delugan Meissl Associated Architects takes...