Max Gluskin House Department of Economics, University of Toronto | The Plan
  1. Home
  2. Magazine 2011
  3. The Plan 051 [06-2011]
  4. Max Gluskin House Department of Economics, University of Toronto

Max Gluskin House Department of Economics, University of Toronto

Hariri Pontarini Architects

America settentrionale | Toronto

The University of Toronto’s Department of Economics has been significantly extended with the addition of new offices, conference and seminar rooms, as well as study and meeting spaces for students and faculty. Toronto-based practice, Hariri Pontarini Architects, was given the design brief for the new buildings. The main constraints were the Client’s limited budget and the need to integrate new-build with the Department’s pre-existing facilities; these include an 1889 Victorian building and another 1961 construction in Georgian revival style. The programme pivots around the materiality that connects the new extension with the older brick-faced buildings. The solution is a meticulously designed glazed connecting volume on the ground and first floors. Reserved and unobtrusive, it forms an almost dematerialised bridge between the Victorian edifice and its decorative dormer windows, porches...

Print
15.00 €
Digital
4.49 €

© Maggioli SpA • THE PLAN • Via del Pratello 8 • 40122 Bologna, Italy • T +39 051 227634 • P. IVA 02066400405 • ISSN 2499-6602 • E-ISSN 2385-2054