Wood Church In Kärsämäki | The Plan
  1. Home
  2. Magazine 2006
  3. The Plan 013 [03-2006]
  4. Wood Church In Kärsämäki

Wood Church In Kärsämäki

Lassila Hirvilammi Architects

Europa | Kärsämäki

The ancient parish church of Kärsämäki, picturesquely located on the banks of a river, was demolished in 1841. The move to “reconstruct” the monument was first broached in 1998. The approach was twofold: to design a new church along simple, modern lines that would, however, be built using 18th century wood construction techniques. In-depth archival research resulted in this completely wood, pine-frame building assembled using only the tongue and groove technique, and wooden nails and dowels at the key structural points. Every technical detail was meticulously respected: horses transported the semi-finished boards on site; replicas of old working tools were made and used; the aspen shingles were waterproofed with a coating of tar; and wood components were finished on site with axes, hand saws and chisels. In the same spirit, a birch bark insulating layer was placed between the outer...

Print
Paper Version Sold Out
Digital
4.49 €

© Maggioli SpA • THE PLAN • Via del Pratello 8 • 40122 Bologna, Italy • T +39 051 227634 • P. IVA 02066400405 • ISSN 2499-6602 • E-ISSN 2385-2054