The newly completed office building by Bogle Architects represents the latest phase of The Oxford Science Park, offering 60,000 sq ft (NIA) of office accommodation over four storeys.
Greenery plays a vital role within the park, boasting extensive landscaped areas and an abundance of natural planting, a feature lake and tree-lined avenues. The result is a peaceful, welcoming outdoor breakout space for employees and visitors.
The key challenges were to blend the large car parking areas into the landscaping scheme while extending these natural elements inside the building, as well as creating a building that supports new, innovative concepts for workplace environments. This includes flexible
workspaces, lots of natural light, good acoustics and warm tangible materials that promote ‘smart working’ and employee wellbeing.
The building is conceived as two dramatic wings canted away from each other in plan, serviced by a single core facing an impressive triple-height 13-metre-wide atrium lobby with long views towards the park. Two satellite cores facing the atrium service the fully open plan.
The design of the new building adheres to the guidelines of the British Council for Offices, using a palette of high quality materials, responding to the client’s brief and reflecting the building’s high
use values. Energy efficiency is paramount - passive design measures as well as low and zero carbon technologies such as air source heat pumps, have resulted in a BREEAM rating of “Very Good”. The majority of mechanical plant is housed in ‘plant stacks’ appended to the south elevation.
The building's fully flexible design can accommodate both workplace and laboratory functions, including break-out areas and informal meeting spaces, promoting both smart working and employee well-being.
The building is named in honour of Erwin Schrödinger, a Nobel Prize-winning Austrian physicist who developed a number of fundamental results in the field of quantum theory, which formed the basis of wave mechanics. Schrödinger was awarded the Nobel Prize in
Physics (1933) and the Max Planck Medal (1937).
The main entrance to the building is from the north, directly facing the landscaped drop-off and linking into the wider masterplan of The Oxford Science Park. Service, bin stores and 80 cycle spaces are located to the southern edge of the building facing the car park, which has provision for 203 cars - representing 1 car per 35 sqm of gross floor area.
Bogle Architects is an award-winning architecture and design studio founded in 2012 by Ian Bogle. The team of highly creative group of individuals share a common desire to design and build progressive, imaginative and innovative architecture. With studios in London and Prague, and a further office in Hong Kong, the practice is engaged in a wide range of prestigious international projects.
Striving for simple design solutions to resolve the complexity of any project, the practice's philosophy is based on clarity of thought, wide engagement and a collaborative design process in order to realise a common goal.
The practice is currently engaged in a broad spectrum of projects spanning a number of sectors including Commercial, Residential, Hospitality, Education, Science and Masterplanning, geographically spread across, Asia, EMEA, UK and South America.
Cast your vote
The voting session is closed