Location: Cernusco dul Naviglio, Milano
Client: L'Aurora Bachelet
Gross Floor Area: 11.900 m2
Design Team: Tobia Marcotti, Filippo Resteghini, Chiara Mazzotti, Bruno Marcotti, Mariarita Lombardo, Mario Castelli
Architectural Supervision: ITI Studio
Design and Management of Structural Work: Structurama s.r.l. - Massimiliano Vernaleone, Luca Negri, Fabio Raimondi, Andrea Ripamonti
Design and Management of Installation Work: Ebner associates Italia - Michele Villani, Paolo Picozzi
Contractor: Impresa Edile Mariani
Doors and Window Frames: Falar
Timber Structures: Moretti Interholz
Mechanical and Electrical Installations: Ambrosiana Impianti
Metal Roofing: Kalzip
Plasterboard Walls and Ceilings: Gyprok Saint-Gobain
Glass: AGC Glass
Photography: © Daniele Domenicali
ITIStudio Itistudio was established through the coming together of Bruno Marcotti, with his background in the design and planning of large healthcare complexes in Italy and Latin America, and Giuseppe Marchesi, with his background in plant management (at Niguarda Hospital in Milan) and sterilization. Technological integration, and achieving the highest levels of quality and reliability have always been the guiding principles of the studio. In 2003, Itistudio was registered as an engineering company.
Born in Milan in 1946, Marcotti graduated in architecture from Milan Polytechnic in 1971, where he was a member of the academic staff until 1981. Between 1976 and 1983, he was involved in major design and building projects for Hosp. Ital S.p.a. in Italy, Latin America and Africa, including feasibility studies, the renovation and construction of numerous surgical, maternity and intensive care units, new hospitals, as well as mobile medical units for helicopters and trucks. Since 1983, he has owned ITI.
Marchesi was born in Sesto San Giovanni (Milan) in 1940. He graduated in architecture from Milan Polytechnic in 1981. From 1962 to 1985, he held various installation maintenance positions at Milan’s Ospedale Maggiore in Milan, then the Niguarda Ca’ Granda Hospital Authority, including architect with the installations division, participating in the design and construction of intensive care, cardiac-coronary, hemodynamic, sterilization and dialysis units, as well as wards and operating theatres. In 1992, he was appointed scientific editor of the journal Tecnica Ospedaliera and became the tireless organizer of international conferences in the areas of sterilization and hospital issues. From 1985 until his death in 1999, he was joint-owner of ITI.
Maria Rita Lombardo
Lombardo was born in Milan in 1948. After studying fine arts, in 1971 she graduated in architecture from Milan Polytechnic. She is involved in the design of school buildings, and community and health facilities, and also taught for several years at the Istituto Europeo di Design. In the residential and hospitality fields, she focuses on restoration and interior design, with her work primarily based in Milan and Lombardy. In Italy’s Val d’Aosta region, she is involved in rebuilds, particularly of the traditional rascard cabins. She became a partner of ITI in 2003.
Marcotti was born in Milan in 1976, graduating in architecture from the Leonardo campus of Milan Polytechnic in 2000. In 1997, he joined MCCGLC, where he was involved in the construction of exhibition stands and computer-aided design. Together with Matteo Gatto and MCCGLC, in 1999 he established BTL, which was involved in web design, courses in CAD, graphics and 3D modelling. These early experiences gave Marcotti an appreciation of the meticulous attention to detail required by the entire design process as well as a sense of wonder at the process of giving form to an idea. He joined ITI in 2001 and is involved in projects ranging from feasibility study to works management. In 2003 he became a partner of ITI.