Popular music has grown rapidly in Taiwan in the past three decades. More than this, the frequent tours of the international Pop Groups often cause sensation and a ticket hard to buy.
On the other hand, Taiwan indigenous people are highly talented in music and art who influenced by traditional tribal culture.
In view of this, the Taoyuan Municipal Government plans to build A large Complex cultural facilities including the Taoyuan Pop Music Amphitheatre, The indigenous Cultural and Creative Industry Park, and The indigenous Cultural Foundation permanent site in the Taoyuan High-speed Rail Station special area which near the MRT station.
The main expectations about this particular project are twofold:
(1) Integrate the Aboriginal Cultural Foundation and Creative Center becoming an Asian pop music home town and a key area for Aboriginal culture promotion.
(2) Settlement of the pop music industry for young generations, and freely combined with scientific and technological applications to become an experimental base for the popular music and the indigenous cultural.
The key issues of design in this project are:
1. How to deal with the noise problem at the amphitheater which located at the junction of residential area and agricultural area.
2. Overcome the resonance problem from the enthusiastic audience jumping the beat of popular music concerts.
3. Create clusters of buildings with convenient transportation and form the space for cultural events.
4. Create a Modern architectural vocabulary of Taiwanese aboriginal culture and art atmosphere.
Aiming at the key issues of design which mentioned above, this project proposes corresponding design as below:
1. Use the configuration of the building volumes to form a noise shield. The four-story building volumes are located on the east and south sides of the site adjacent to the residential area. Using their height to form a sound barrier wall, it can effectively block noise from directly impacting to sensitive residential area.
2. Let the open space toward to the north side where the MRT depot is located and the west side where the agricultural area is located to reduce the noise affection.
3. The landscape planting design of multi-layer trees was used to form a natural noise shield to reduce the noise impact from road vehicles and elevated MRT to the site.
The Aboriginal totem art is abstracted transforming into a series of structural pillars in different sizes to sharp the outer wall of the double skin system and the roof gradual molding skylight. The method of transforming the aboriginal weaving process into a grating the characteristics of the building structure and the changing light with shadow as aboriginal art are cleverly and minimal integrated into the overall architectural atmosphere.
Regarding to the overall landscape design concept, the amphitheater can be used as a green and open garden for the neighborhood when there is no performance, and improve the quality of urban living environment. At the same time, since this project is also closely related to the culture and art of the aboriginal people, the concept of the universe in aboriginal culture and the concept of admiring the earth and living to be used as a starting point. With the special choices of planting, the form of the plaza, the public art, and the arrangement of the landscaping, all of them are a serious of metaphor for faith, worship, origin, symbiosis, ethnicity, and life. Symbolizing the imagery and turning the overall landscape design towards a low-energy-consumption, multi-species ecological construction and enriches the diversity of open space as an outdoor theater.
In the main building part, this project has two main units, such as the Aboriginal Cultural Foundation and the Aboriginal Cultural and Creative Center. For example, the Aboriginal TV station, Aboriginal radio station and other cohesive office and TV studios and recording studios are composite this buildings. The processing space has strict restrictions such as sound, light, vibration, etc. and should be given priority to reasonable functions. The rest space then can introduce natural ventilation and lighting is reserved for open office space. The exterior wall is based on the joints of the totem of hundred-step snack, the textile decoration and bamboo rattan basket in the daily life of the aboriginal people. It is abstracted and simplified into an inverted V-shaped or double-triangular member of the curtain wall.
The Aboriginal Cultural and Creative Center has set up a cultural and creative market, artist workshops, art and cultural exhibitions and discussion spaces, etc. It is an open cultural and creative communication space. The intention of space is to introduce light, sound, wind and other natural elements, and to make space flowing with continuity of moving circulations to attract people to come in, stop, communicate and interact. The exterior wall is reproduced from the Aboriginal slate construction method as a solid wall surface with triangular braided glass windows and a huge self-purchased steel pillar supporting a high wooden roof, forming a contrast between light and heavy.
The two buildings are integrated and connected by a white wave roof shaped like a sea of clouds; create a sense of unity and a semi-outdoor recreation space for public leisure activities. This semi-outdoor space sharps a large-scale elevation at the corner of the street, symbolizing the primitive forest of Taiwan. The columns and the observation deck of the origin of life hovering up as the main entrance image of the whole area.
This is a project combining large scale landscape, the technical of amphitheater, TV studio, radio station, and multi-functional cultural space, also the transformed image of local aboriginal culture past and future. Moreover, it will be a very important base for Taiwan to show local aboriginal cultural and the energy pop music to the world.
J.A. Chen Architects & Associates integration of Eastern and Western culture and building technology. Always keeping "Innovation ‧ Efficiency ‧ Professional ‧ Service“ as our working philosophy . Combined with domestic and foreign experts in various fields of technical consultants. Always take the challenge from variety complex building types and client s’ demand to provide the best design solutions and sustainable services.
Building design & supervision
Interior & landscape design
Project construction management
Contribuisci con il tuo voto